Sunday, July 10, 2011

What a Day It Was

Well, there's been a lot of interesting things that have happened over the past week and a half.

First, the weather. I endured the hottest day of my life on Saturday when it got up to 116-118 (not exactly sure where it finally wound up). It was really hot. The wind felt like a blow dryer. It took all my energy just to give people passalong cards. Then, around 4 pm it rained, which almost immediately evaporated. I have never seen puddles disappear so rapidly. So it was cooler after that but way more humid. Saturday was a weird day.

Last night, a huge dust storm blew in. It was nasty. My mouth was filled with dirt. It felt like I'd just brushed my teeth with sand. I got some pretty good pictures that I'll send on Monday when I have my camera with me. It was one of those weather experiences that's cool but miserable at the same time. I guess that monsoon season here must have started, though, because it's been cooling off recently but ramping up the humidity. I'm not sure which I dislike more, the scalding heat or humidity.

We also got a new mission president this week. President Taylor is really cool. We had interviews with him yesterday. He seems like a very nice, friendly, loving man. His wife is really nice too. He gave us all onions and talked with us about peeling back the surface layers of missionary work and getting to the heart of it. He asked us, "Why did I give you onions?" I'm pretty sure about half of the missionaries thought of Shrek almost immediately when he asked that. At least, I did.

My interview with him was good, although he made me nervous. He said he's been reading my blog! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So now I've been trying to remember everything I ever wrote in these letters and I've been trying to assess what he'd think of me. I'm glad I've never written anything too terrible but I think there might be some things I'd take back now. He said, "I already feel like I know you pretty well," but he didn't tell me any of the impressions he got after reading my updates on Mexican food and how I dislike the heat. So that's been occupying my thoughts for the past day. Fortunately he said he's removed his bookmarks on all the blogs now that he's president. I guess I should have known that as a news reporter he'd know how to find information on his missionaries.

My investigators are doing really well. We had an amazing lesson in the Church this week. The Spirit literally taught the lesson. We shared little to nothing, it was almost entirely just scriptures, the members who were with us, and the Spirit. I was amazed at how even though we didn't teach much, the lesson was far more effective. My entire mission I've had that backwards. I've been trying to knowledge people into the Gospel, when I really just need to get them to feel the Spirit and the knowledge will come later. The one part I really taught was something I had felt strongly impressed to say while praying about how I could help that specific investigator. It was amazing. It was exactly what she needed to hear and completely changed her outlook on the Church. I felt very humbled because the impression I had got while I was praying was that I hadn't taught why we're baptized very well and that if she just knew that she'd want to do it. I have since repented and we had that amazing lesson. Elder Cheadle did an amazing job in that lesson as well, and followed the Spirit perfectly in order to help her accept a baptismal date. It was a really special lesson and helped to show me that God really does direct this work and cares about each of His children.

We also have a family that we met just last week and have come to every Church activity since then. They really seem to like it. They came to our 4th of July activity that the ward put on. I've never worked so hard at party in my life. I just wanted them to enjoy themselves. There's something very fulfilling when you sacrifice your own temporary enjoyment for the happiness of others. I felt really good after that activity. The activity itself was really fun. It was great to see so many immigrants saying thank you to the country that they love. They are very appreciative of the opportunities and security the United States offers them, even if we're not always as grateful to them for the things they do for the country.

I love you all. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and exists today in His restored Church.

Elder Grasley

No comments:

Post a Comment