It's my second day in the MTC. I'm getting to know the missionaries in my district better, my companero, Elder Alderrama, is Peruvian, but he grew up in Arizona and New York. He likes World of Warcraft and working out. He reminds me of my roommate from college with his zeal for exercise. In my room, there's also Elders Porras and Barajas. Elder Porras is Mexican, originally from L.A., but now living in Utah where his family owns a candy factory. he has a very strong testimony and conversion story. Elder Barajas is from Medford and is also Mexican.
The other missionaries in our district are Elders Vasconcelos, Zeledon, and Dedeno, anlong with Hermana Ordonez. Elder Vasconcelos is our district leader. He's Brazilian and only really knows Portuguese but it's close enough to Spanish that we can understand him. His English is pretty good, though, because he played for the BYU man's soccer team. Elder Zeledon is from Orange County and Costa Rica, and he's pretty quiet. Hell be serving in the Phoenix mission too. Elder Dedeno is from Mexico, now living in Utah Valley. He's only been a member of the Church for one year. Hermana Ordonez is Colombian and she lives in Vancouver B.C. She's really nice and has a strong desire to teach the gospel.
The MTC has been really funs so far. There are so many people to meet and so many native speakers to practice my Spanish with. I'm really glad that Elder Vasconcelos is in my district, because so far we're the only two advanced students who aren't native speakers that I've met. Everyone thinks it's pretty impressive that my Spanish is that good just form classroom learning, but I still feel way behind the others.
I'am still getting used to the MTC life. The food is pretty much exactly the same as the BYU cafeteria food;so it's food for cafeteria food, but kinda terrible if you're eating it all the time. I'm still adjusting to the sleep schedule, and since it's Utah they keep all the buildings blisteringly hot., so sometimes it's hard to sleep at night. I guess it'll help me prepare for Phoenix. It feels really weird that my whole life for the next 3 weeks is contained in just a few buildings. I suppose it's a little like what jail feels like: only instead of inmates there's a bunch of friendly missionaries. I am glad that I only have to spend 3 weeks. We leave a day after our zone leaders, who have been here already 5-6 weeks longer than us.
you can really feel the Spirit here very strongly, and it's great to work with the Latino missionaries because of their strong faith and desire to serve the Lord. I want to be like their strong example. I love you all and pray for God's blessings upon you.
Besos and Abrazos,
Elder Grasley
P.S. I almost forgot, you can't listen to music in the MTC. ARGHKLMSQVIEDSKIW2XDSFGH! ( I don't have a keyboard to pound on in frustration, but you get the idea.) It makes sense, because if everyone listened to their own music, it'd be way to noisy in the dorms. Still, I'm very sad I won't be able to listen to tall the Christmas music I brought. T.T
No comments:
Post a Comment