Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'm Not Sick, But I'm Not Well

Well, another week has come and gone. We got transfer news this morning. I'm staying here in Encanto but Elder Chipman is leaving. T.T
It'll be sad without Elder Chipman. He was a good trainer. We didn't always get along perfectly, but by the end we were working very well together. He taught me a lot about how to be a good, hardworking missionary. I'm going to miss him.
It's kinda scary to think I'll be getting a new companion. Who knows who it's going to be or how well I'm going to get along with them. Still, it's kinda exciting at the same time to be with somebody new and see where that takes me. I'm also in charge of making sure the area is taken care of, since I'll be the companion that stays behind. It's a big responsability, but I'm pretty sure I'll do just fine with it. I think I'll even enjoy having a bit more autonomy and feeling a bit more needed in the companionship. We'll see how things go with the new companion. Whoever it is, I'm sure there will be something the Lord wants me to learn from him.
In other transfer news, Elder Miles is getting moved. We're almost certain this means he's going up to become Assistant to the President, which is pretty cool, although we'll miss him. This means that it'll be just me and Elder Ray who remain in the apartment. That's pretty okay, though. We can sing They Might Be Giants and Flight of the Conchords together. Still, I'm going to miss Elder Miles. He's a really great missionary. Very patient and a very caring person. He'll be a good AP. I'm glad I got to go on one last split with him this week.
We had the baptism of Maria Estrada this week, the woman Elder Chipman found near the overpass. She's completely changed. She's so much happier and she loves the gospel. It's been great to see how happy she's become since she found the Church. Her baptism was really great and the Spirit was really strong there. Her daughter, who didn't get baptized, gave the closing prayer and started crying a little during it. After that, all the ward members came over and gave her a hug. It was really nice to see their love and support for her.
This week, I've also been kinda tired and achy but not really sick. It's weird. I don't really feel sick, but I don't really feel well either. I hope it goes away soon.
We've recently started focusing more on our purpose as missionaries in our lessons and contacts. It's really nice. We tell people we're there to help them change their lives to follow Jesus Christ more. So many Mexicans think we're like the JWs and that we just want to read the Bible to them with gracious helping of false doctrine mixed in (JWs are becoming some of my least favorite people). It's really nice to tell them we're not there for Bible study, but we are them to help them improve their lives through Jesus Christ. It's led to a greater focus on repentance and change through the atoning power of Christ. We even dropped one of our investigators after our new focus because he told us he wasn't going to change. It's a very promising way of teaching and helping people. There's pretty much always something we as missionaries can do to help our investigators understand our purpose and their purpose better.
It's interesting how the mission changes you. For instance, I've recently realized I really enjoy reading the Ensign, something that really never interested me in the past. I also have learned how to ride my bike with no handle bars, which I didn't think I'd be able to do three months ago.
And, since a weather update seems pretty obligatory in my emails, this past week was pretty hot, except for today and yesterday, which have been cloudy. Today was even pretty rainy. I got soaked. I'm glad I'm a missionary in a desert.
I hope everyone enjoys spring break! I wish I could be there at the beach with you guys. Tell Nick happy birthday for me! I'm sad I can't call him up or tell him in person. I liked Claire's muskrat poem and Keelie's cupcake. And I'm glad to hear you're improving in your singing lessons, Meggie.
Love,
Elder Grasley

No comments:

Post a Comment