Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Road Full of Promise

I had a really awesome week this past week. The most awesome part is that this family that we've been teaching, a mom and her two teenage daughters, are all going to get baptized on Friday! Raquel, the mom, loves the Church and already has a lot of good friends there. She just fit in right off the bat. The ward loves her. We were kinda worried about what the daughters would want to do, but we had a great lesson with them and Elder Neves helped find out that they were just shy and didn't want to get confirmed in front of everyone. So we helped them to conquer that shyness and now they're getting baptized on Friday too!
Raquel is just an amazing lady. We kept running into her in the street and we'd set up appointments and she wouldn't be there. Finally she was there for one of our appointments and she just took off after that. She's just really nice and friendly and a really great mom too. We even had a lesson with her husband this week for the first time ever. That was pretty special.
Elder Neves and I have been working pretty hard. He's been a pretty good sport. I can tell that he gets tired from the heat, but he just keeps going. I kinda took it for granted how much I'd adjusted to spending several hours a day in 110 degree weather.
I've been really impressed with Elder Neves this week. He's done a really good job of following the Spirit in our lessons. Sometimes he says things that I know to say because I've been doing this for 8 months, but that he can only know by following the Spirit. It's pretty cool to see how even though he doesn't have a whole lot of experience in the field he can still say some pretty awesome things when he's listening to the Spirit.
I'm really beginning to feel a strong connection with the Felix family here in the ward since Hermana Felix's mom got baptized. They just all seem so happy together. I think I'll always have a special connection with that family. So far they've participated in the teaching of all the baptisms I've had since March. They're a really special family and I'm so glad that I've got to work with them. They love missionary work and love sharing the Gospel that's made them happy.
I was told this week that I talk with an accent from northern Mexico, aside from my slight American accent. That was pretty cool. I feel like my accent has been improving a lot lately. I'm starting to realize little things that Mexicans do when they talk, especially northern Mexicans, who I like because they're the cowboy/border Mexicans. So I've kinda tried to steer my accent towards how they talk in Sonora and Chihuahua. I think Chihuahua might be my favorite state. Everybody from there is from the country it seems and they all seem more receptive to the Church because of the Mormon colonies down there.
I'm beginning to really like just going out and talking to people. It's fun to help people when you just focus on helping them grow faith in the Savior and His Atonement and letting that change their lives. There's nothing better than sharing the message about the infinite love that Christ has towards us. Sometimes I let unimportant things distract me from that. But I just have to focus on helping others come unto Christ and all of my personal inadequacies and problems seem to go away.
Well, I love you all. Be sure to find missionary opportunities wherever you are. Remember, missionary work also includes sharing the Gospel within the Church to those who need a little extra encouragement.
Love,
Elder Grasley

No comments:

Post a Comment