Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Love->Building on Fire

This week was kinda abnormal. I had a lot of meetings and we had some unexpected things happen with some of our investigators. On the mission I've learned that normal is sometimes what you want.
President Taylor is still really awesome. He's simplifying the numbers that we track back to the ones found in Preach My Gospel. That's really nice because previously we tracked some additional numbers that were kinda tedious to keep track of. Of course, now we're not being watched over in as many areas so there's more leeway for disobedience. We're gonna keep working hard anyways. I kinda like the idea that I can do more things that won't show up as numbers because now I feel like I'm doing it more out of my own free will.
We had a really sad experience on Sunday. One of our investigators with a baptismal date was told by her husband that she couldn't get baptized. He also told us not to teach her anymore. I felt really sorry for her because she really loved the Church and loved the change she felt in her life. It was pretty heartwrenching for her to come all this way and not get baptized. Of course, the reason why the husband didn't want her to get baptized was because he didn't want her to change. How selfish. She loved the Church and it made her happy but he could only see what it meant for him. Some day she'll get her chance to accept the gospel, whether in this life or in the next.
We have two people preparing to be baptized right now. One is the son of a less active woman who recently moved into our ward. They're pretty happy about it, but their economic situation is a little precarious right now. We also set a baptismal date with the mother-in-law of the woman who got baptized three weeks ago. She's gone to Church twice now and loved it. She also loves the movie about the Restoration. We're hoping that if she gets baptized her son, the father of the family, will get baptized too. He's been coming to Church for the past few weeks too. Still doesn't stay for classes, though.
I've heard it's supposed to start cooling down soon. That's nice. Elder Neves is getting pretty tired of the heat. Yesterday we spent most of the day tracting and riding around on our bikes. He was pretty tired. It'd be hard being a new missionary in this heat. I've been able to slowly get used to it.
We had a really special experience in District meeting on Thursday. I'd had trouble thinking of a training activity to use for the meeting, but I decided to just go on with my plans. In the meeting I read the scripture in John 15 where Jesus Christ says that we are his friends. I really like that scripture. I think it's become one of my favorites. After that, I knew what we needed to practice. It just came to me there on the spot and I knew what we needed to work on. We practiced teaching the gospel as if we were teaching it to our best friends. The Spirit was really strong. I was thankful for the influence of the Holy Ghost in guiding our meeting.
Love you all,
Elder Grasley

No comments:

Post a Comment