Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day is a really good movie. I have grown a greater appreciation for Bill Murray recently. The combination of a fixed schedule as a missionary and a four square mile box I've lived in for the past ten months sometimes makes it feel like I'm living the same day over again. Still, just like Bill Murray, repitition means a lot of practice and learning. I think I'll always have a pretty good understanding about where things are in these four square miles of Phoenix.
This week was overall normal. The highlight was probably going on splits on Wednesday with Elder Cheadle. It was nice to be back with my old companion again. We just have this weird ability to know each other's mind when we teach. We have really similar goals and similar ideas about how to get there. I think what I appreciate most about him is that I can talk with him about my goals or things that interest me and he cares. As a missionary it's really nice when your companion supports your desires to get better and shares your enthusiasm for doing things right.
Things are still a little slow in the area. That's probably why it feels like Groundhog Day from time to time. Still, I've gotten to this point where I don't really get too frustrated if it's slow. Success will come or it won't. If I'm trying my best, I can't really get frustrated if things don't turn out exactly how I wanted. I think part of having faith and hope is that we then have patience for blessings to happen because we know everything will work out. I've grown this ability to just shrug off a bad day where most of your appointments fall through. There's nothing I can do to change that, so what's the point in getting negative about it? Good things will happen in the future and as long as I'm diligent, obedient, and trying to improve, I'll qualify for those blessings.
The weather here changed overnight. It's now almost a little cold. I wanted a couple of weeks of 90s and 80s to gradually adjust, but it dropped pretty quick. Arizona does not have good weather, despite what anyone might say to the contrary. California has good weather. Arizona does not.
I like how all of the Gospel is just about helping people. Jesus Christ was the ultimate Helper and we just follow his example. We each have a personal responsibility to make it back to Heavenly Father, but it's impossible to do that on our own. We need the help of those around us and especially of the Savior Jesus Christ. That's something I've learned on the mission. Most people aren't necessarily looking for the true Church, but they are looking for the help and direction they can only receive from the true Church of God. The Gospel is all about helping others. That's why we need things like the Church and the Priesthood. Without them we're just on our own and it's too hard. I like being just a small part of those helping Heavenly Father's children return back to Him.
Love,
Elder Grasley

No comments:

Post a Comment