Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Breakfast at Tiffany's

This week has been very difficult. I've been placed in a new area and
I've had to figure out the new area while trying to keep my new
companion happy. I'm not sure how well I've done in either. At least
the Lord only called me to be a missionary and not to be perfect.

I'm in Estrella ward. It's in the suburbs of Phoenix, specifically
Avondale and Tolleson. Lots of McMansions and big houses, although
there's a couple of cool ghetto parts. I like ghetto places. I feel at
home in the ghetto. Poor people are way nicer and more loving than
rich people. I think it's because they learn to just be content with
life and to be happy just living. They learn that your happiness
doesn't depend on material things.

The ward is interesting. It's mostly chicanos (Mexicans born in the
US). It's definitely got a different feel from Encanto. It feels a
little more like an English ward where everyone speaks Spanish. The
bishop's pretty cool, though. Me and him seem to think similarly and
have similar personalities. There's a lot of work here. We have the
entire ward to work with and so there's a lot of part member families
and less actives to visit.

My new companion is Elder Mack. He's from Atlanta, Georgia. He really
likes cars, which is not something that interests me in the slightest.
I think my driving is driving him crazy, but hey, that's what you get
when you haven't driven in a year. He also likes soccer. Again, not
something that interests Elder Grasley. I'm desperately trying to find
something we have in common.

I was feeling kinda bad last night when we went to visit a less active
brother who just recently came back to Church. He told us about how
ever since his wife died five years ago he's felt empty and alone. It
really made me realize how insignificant my problems are. He's had
years of pain and has been trying to take care of his one son by
himself. We had a good talk and gave him a blessing and he seemed much
better. It was a really great experience.

Well, I just ask for your prayers. I need them right now. As Sister
Beck used to say, there's no growing in a comfort zone and no comfort
in a growing zone. I'm definitely becoming more familiar with that
now.

Love,
Elder Grasley

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I found your blog! Just wanted to let you know that we love you and pray for you every day!
    You're doing God's work.
    Go! Fight! Win!
    Aunt Jeri

    ReplyDelete