This week was really good. I'm really starting to like my new area and
get settled in.
On Thursday I had a really cool experience. We visited a less active
member and his daughter. Her dad is pretty old and on dialysis so he
has a hard time getting to Church. His daughter hasn't really had much
contact with the Church before. We started talking with her and she
brought up how her son has been asking her why he was baptized as a
baby and she didn't wait and let him choose. So we read with her in
Moroni 8 about how little children don't need baptism. She thought it
made a lot of sense and wondered why the Catholic church had told her
that all her children were sinners at birth. Then she told us that she
had two children that died at birth and they weren't able to be
baptized. She'd always wondered what had happened to them. We shared
the scripture in D&C that says that all children that die before the
age of accountability are saved in the Kingdom of Heaven. She was
really relieved to hear that her children were okay would live with
our Heavenly Father. It was a great experience to explain the plan of
salvation to her and see how it helped her to heal from some things
that had hurt her for a long time. We've got another appointment with
her on Tuesday.
We have another investigator who's given up tea and coffee and is
working on smoking. She's really cool. When she learned about the Word
of Wisdom she knew that that was what she needed to do.
Birthday was good. It's weird being 21. Of course, there aren't that
many differences for me as a member of the Church. It's like when I
turned 18 and could buy cigarettes and lottery tickets. That sure made
a big difference in my life. Thank you to everyone who sent me things.
I think the best thing I got was the 500 Spanish word refrigerator
magnets. I have them all organized alphabetically and by part of
speech. I think as I linguistics major I saw a jumble of words and
morphemes and just had to organize it somehow. It's also fun to make
sentences like "I am a cloud of passion" on our fridge.
We also had a funny guy this week where we knocked on his door and
asked if his wife was there. We had found his wife's name in our area
book and thought we'd stop by. So we asked him if his wife was there
and he responded, "Yes, but you need to CALL first. You just really
need to call." And he was really serious about this too. I felt like
if I didn't call first like someone was going to die or something. So
we went home and read her entry in the area book. There were some
pretty interesting entries from the previous missionaries like "We
talked about Adam-ondi-ahman and the Millenium." Needless to say,
we're excited to go back. But we're definitely going to call first.
Love ya,
Elder Grasley
No comments:
Post a Comment