Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Life During Wartime


This week started out good but kinda went south after that. We were pretty excited about the awesome 16 year old kid we were teaching. He was just ready. But when he asked his parents if he could go to Church they said no. It seems like even though they don't go to their Catholic church they feel that their son shouldn't go to a different church. Figures. So that was disappointing. At the very least the parents should take him to their church so that he can fulfill some of his spiritual needs.
 
We've been doing a lot of tracting recently. It's always kinda tough when you don't have much going on in terms of teaching. We're starting to exhaust most of the people in our area book and our ward list. So there's not much else to do but knock. I kinda have a love hate relationship with tracting. I like how it makes me feel like I'm working hard, but it wears you out and doesn't yield a lot of results. Still, somebody out there has been prepared by the Lord and we're going to do our best to find them.
 
We had a good zone conference this week. President Taylor gave a talk on repentance that was really really good. I find repentance was not something I understood very well before my mission. It's so easy just to view it as a procedure or a checklist. But it's really more about changing who we are. But really the more I've understood what repentance is the more I've come to really like it. Repentance really is a "divine gift" like Elder Christofferson called it.
 
Last night we had a family home evening with a family in our ward. They were super awesome to set up a family home evening and let us invite our investigators to it. The problem is that we didn't have a lot of investigators to invite. So it was kinda small in terms of attendance, but it was really spiritual. We watched the Testaments. I really like that movie. I think they did a good job with the mesoamerican stuff.
 
Our new ward mission leader is pretty awesome. He's a super good missionary. He just loves the Church. He's had trouble finding work recently because he works in construction and so in his spare time he does genealogy. I want to be like him some day. He's always ready to serve.
 
Well, I love you guys. I've heard that this week is gonna be hotter. The good thing is that this time around summer isn't quite as bad. I guess I'm used to burning up by now.
Elder Grasley

No comments:

Post a Comment