Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Silver Trembling Hands


This week went pretty well. We had interviews with President Taylor on Thursday. I really liked interviews this time around. I'd been kinda struggling the previous few weeks, but I knew talking with President would work things out. We had a good chat and I left feeling a lot better. We also watched the movie 17 Miracles about the Willie and Martin handcart companies. I have to say, Mormon movies are getting a lot better. This latest one was really well done. It made me think a lot about what my own ancestors had to go through crossing the plains.
 
Fourth of July was good. We didn't really do much. It was another holiday spent tracting and cleaning the house. The nice thing was we finished cleaning pretty quick and spent the rest of the night playing Axis and Allies. Man that game's fun. It's like Risk but with more strategy and less silly truces.
 
I went on splits with the English Elders in my district on Friday. Their area's been a little dead for a while. So for Friday we just decided to stop by a bunch of people we didn't know on the ward list. We found a good eight or so part member families that they didn't know about before. I think sometimes English missionaries don't use their resources well. When you cover two full wards, chances are there'll be some less active you can reactivate and baptize the rest of their family. The missionaries I worked with were pretty pleased with what we managed to find in one day and treated it like I'd done something magical. All I did was write down a few names from the ward list. Sometimes we make missionary work harder than it needs to be.
 
This time I went on splits with the new Elder in my district, Elder Hebert (pronounced ay-bair). He's a pretty cool guy. He's from North Carolina. I think I'm learning on the mission that I get along pretty well with southerners as a group. They're pretty chill and funny. Me and Elder Hebert had a good time. I think we both enjoyed it because we have a pretty similar philosophy of not being pushy or having unrealistic expectations. So many missionaries just aren't tactful and come off as really pushy or strange.
 
We're getting closer to having a baptism. Our one investigator with a date is progressing pretty well and should get baptized here in the next couple of weeks. It's been nice working with her. She just has a sincere desire to learn and to change her life.
 
I've been working on putting together lesson plans for all of the lessons in Preach My Gospel. I'm trying to get to the point where I can share scriptures from all of the standard works for each concept in the lessons we teach. I'm finding that the Bible teaches pretty much everything that we teach; it's just a little jumbled and not as clear. I think that's why people get confused. They read the part that we're saved by faith and then don't read the part five chapters later that talks about how we're saved by repentance as well.  I think the nice thing about the Restored Gospel is that it just organizes everything that was already there so that it makes sense.
 
Well, I love you,
Elder Grasley

No comments:

Post a Comment