Monday, November 12, 2012

Pomp and Circumstance


It is really cold here. It's been in the 50s during the day and in the 30s/20s at night. I'm really glad I got Mom to send me my pea coat last year. Elder Wheelwright just has sweaters so there's been a lot of shivering on his part. I like the change in the weather. It's nice having a different season than "eternal summer" for once.
 
We've been giving Elder Bartlett a hard time since his home state, Colorado, legalized marijuana. I'm glad that Oregon actually didn't do something stupid for once. And it's nice not to have any more Mitt Romney questions. I'm kinda glad that he lost. I wasn't looking forward to a potential 4 years of having to answer for every decision he makes just because he goes to the same church I do.
 
Elder Wheelwright's pretty cool. We've been teaching really well together. It's weird to finally have a companion who speaks really good Spanish. He's a really good guy and it's nice that he'll be taking over the area once I'm gone. He also is really excited for the Second Coming. I think he thinks it's sooner than I do.
 
We had a good lesson last night. We invited a guy we've been teaching to stop working on Sunday and he said he'd do it. We talked a lot about faith and where we put our priorities. It felt really good to invite someone boldly to follow Jesus Christ and exercize their faith. We'll have to see if he follows through with it on Sunday.
 
I keep looking for a javelina up here but I haven't found one yet. I hear they let off a really musky smell wherever they go. Good old Arizona, home of musky hairy pigs and bugs that can kill you.
 
Dad said he's been receiving letters from another missionary that are almost more entertaining than mine, which is totally unacceptable. Apparently mine need to be more pompous. So here's my letter to compete:
 
This Sabbath we were treated to the delight of listening to none other than the illustrious Elder Holland and President Eyring in a regional broadcast. As in the words of the famous hymn, what rapture filled my bosom to listen to such vibrant testimonies borne with such nobility and grandeur. Indeed, it almost leads one to wonder how one could live without the exquisite joys of such spiritual awareness as has come to me in my mission. I sat in reverent awe as I listened to the honey-sweet words drip from the tongues of such noble witnesses. Alas, and wo is me, for I fear that my companion did not experience such poignant pleasure as my soul was treated to this fine Sabbath. If only I could help him to see with spiritual eyes as I have seen. Discipleship is a lonely road.
 
(But really the regional broadcast was cool. Elder Holland complained about how he grew up in St. George and that Arizona had dug a huge canyon to keep him out.)
 
Well, I can't believe I've only got one month left. Time's really flown by. I can't wait to see all you guys. At least I have some time to get used to cold weather before I get back.
 
Love you guys,
Elder Grasley
 
P.S. Congratulations to former-Elder Cheadle on getting engaged. Love you man.

1 comment: