Transfers said farewell to Elder Scott. I got to welcome Elder Wheelwright to the area. He's way cool. He's been out for 16 months and has excellent Spanish and teaches really well. We've been getting along really well and the week's just flown by.
Elder Wheelwright is from Morgan, Utah (east of Ogden). He likes music and can play the piano, organ, trombone, and cello. He's also allergic/intolerant to pretty much everything (nuts, peanuts, coconut, milk, eggs, avocado). He ate some milk chocolate yesterday and his intestines were not pleased. He's even got an epipen in case he goes into anaphylactic shock by eating peanuts. I guess it's nice because if I ever get mad at him I can just feed him a peanut in his sleep. It was really hard because I was forced to eat all the candies that the members gave us for halloween that had peanut in them. So I took one for the team and ate whatever he couldn't.
Also in transfers we had Elder Burrows and Elder Northrup got transferred into our zone. It was nice because I served around them when I was in Estrella and I've lived with both of them. It was like a little reunion. Burrows is having a fun time living in a mortuary. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to put him in a mortuary, but oh well. Burrows got put with Elder Killian who's also from the south so together they seem to be bringing a little bit of Dixie to the hippies there in Sedona.
Yesterday was a pretty good day for the branch. There were 46 people there, which is probably the best it's ever been since I've been here. After Church we stopped by the Relief Society president's house for a carne asada. Carne asada is one food that never seems to get old. They're going on a trip to Mexico this week and the husband wanted us to give them all blessings before they go. So we gave him a blessing and then came time to give his wife a blessing. That's when Elder Wheelwright suddenly felt the effects of the milk chocolate and had to make a break for the bathroom. But it turned out really well because I was able to convince the brother to do the blessing himself. He'd never given a Priesthood blessing before. He was pretty nervous but he gave a very sweet and heartfelt blessing to his wife. After he was done I asked if he wanted to give a blessing to daughter too and he said yes without hesitation. It was great to say a father exercizing the Priesthood in his home to bless his family. You could tell he loved them a lot. It was a very special experience.
It sounds like Grandpa's funeral was a nice experience. We're going to miss him. I'm still sad that I couldn't see everyone there, but they need me here. The branch is really starting to shape up.
I'm excited for the election to be over. I'm really tired of all the election questions. "No, we are not in any way campaigning for Mitt Romney or endorsing his presidential campaign but thank you for asking." Gospel>politics.
I can't believe I just have a month left. Time's going by so fast. I'm glad I get to finish out with a lot of my friends here in the zone. It's about the best finish I could have hoped for. Now just to get some baptisms between now and then.
Love you,
Elder Grasley
No comments:
Post a Comment