Monday, November 26, 2012

There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays


This week marked the last time I'm going to spend a major holiday cleaning my apartment. Hallelujah. Mission holidays are always a bit of a letdown. But it wasn't too bad. We ate Thanksgiving dinner with the Stake President. He's a really nice guy. Definitely one of my favorite stake presidents on the mission. He owns a local garbage business. All his kids were there and they were all talking about what they wanted to do when they grow up. "Garbage man" was not on anybody's list. The Stake President pointed it out kind of jokingly.
 
We got some really good news this week. Our member who was being held by immigration was set free. So now she's back home with her kids. That was nothing short of a miracle. I really didn't think we'd ever see her again. It seems like some good came out of the experience for her too. She seems a lot more dedicated to the Gospel now. She used to work Sundays and because of that would never make it to Church but she told us that she realized that she doesn't want to do that anymore. She said been in jail made her realize how important God and her family were to her. So I guess all's well that ends well.
 
We had a good visit with a less active member this past week. He was complaining to us about how he feels offended, so we read to him a verse from Doctrine and Covenants that says that if you're offended that you need to bring it up with the person that offended you. It was pretty funny to see his reaction to that. Suddenly he seemed to realize that he shared some personal responsibility here and he decided it would be easier to come back to Church than bring up why he was offended with the person. So he told us he'd be coming back to Church this Sunday.
 
I had a good split with Elder Lancaster this week. I really like Elder Lancaster. He's just normal. He doesn't make waves or cause problems and he thinks about his actions before he does them. I decided the best kind of missionaries are the missionaries that take the work seriously but don't take themselves seriously.
 
I thought it'd be a lot colder up here in the northern part of the mission during the winter time but it seems about normal. It is colder in the mornings but after that scorching Arizona sun comes up it normally hits the 70s or 80s. Elder Lancaster keeps saying that as long as it's sunny and clear in Arizona it'll be impossible for it to be cold.
 
This is my second to last email. That's pretty crazy. I still almost can't believe that it's almost over. Two weeks is not a very long time. In just fourteen days I'll be headed to the mission home and then the next day I'm gonna get on a plane to Portland. Can't wait to see you guys.
 
Love,
Elder Grasley

No comments:

Post a Comment